Frequently Asked Questions
When do the new fares come into effect?
The new transit fares and fare system will come into effect starting Jan. 1, 2023.
What do I do with my old passes? Will I get a refund?
Old passes and fares will be accepted past Jan. 1, 2023 for a temporary grace period except passes purchased from St. Catharines Transit using the Transit app, which will expire on Dec. 31, 2022, at 11:59 p.m.
Why did my transit fares change?
To provide one transit system that is connected and integrated we had to create a harmonized fare structure. An average of regional fares was used to create a one fare system. This means that for riders in some municipalities the fare might go up or down.
Why can’t I get a family pass?
With the new Niagara Region Transit all children under 12 are free (with expanded eligibility for youth concessions).
Is there still a senior rate?
Yes, persons 65+ years are eligible with proof of age available upon request.
What riders are exempt from fares?
- Children 12 and under
- Persons and support persons carrying a CNIB identification card
- Niagara Transit Commission employees
- One support person along with a valid fare paying customer who requires assistance while travelling on public transit
- Active duty military and veterans presenting a Canada Armed Forces Veteran’s Service Card
- First responders while on duty.
Is there still a transfer policy?
Your fare allows you to travel in any direction for two hours, making as many transfers as needed to reach your destination. Providing this transfer window is meant to support our riders and make their travel experience more seamless.
Are fares reloadable?
Fares are not reloadable at this time.
What are my fare payment options?
- Your fare allows you to travel from your location to the pre-set destination. Pre-paid ride passes (single ride, 10-ride or 31 Day) are available for purchase on a Transit App. Ten-ride cards and 31-day passes can be purchased at specific locations in Niagara.
On the bus
- Fare boxes accept coins (excluding pennies) and paper money. The machine will automatically count and display the amount as it is inserted. U.S. currency can be used and is accepted at par. Exact cash fare only on board any bus. Operators cannot make change. Credit/Debit not available on buses.
Riding with OnDemand
- Only pre-paid fares accepted with regional OnDemand Transit.